Owning a piece of Alaska real estate requires time and commitment from the owner. In order to maintain the value of your Alaska real estate, it is key that you keep up with your home during the spring season. Below we offer a few ideas on the important steps you need to take during the spring season to get your Alaska real estate in great shape for the coming summer and the rest of the year.
Important Steps in Maintaining Alaska Real Estate in Spring
Maintaining the yard
Once all the snow is gone, you can begin by inspecting the yard of your Alaska real estate for areas that need attention and care. Keep the points below in mind as you make a list of items you need to take care of.
• Clean all house gutters of debris built up over the winter months and ensure all drains lead rain water away from the foundation of the home
• Prepare all flower and plant beds of your Alaska real estate for planting season
• Look for low areas in the yard of your Alaska real estate where rain water can build up over time and fill in these areas with compacted dirt. This will prevent water from leaking through cracks in the foundation of the house and into the basement area
• Trim all bushes, trees and hedges in the yard of your Alaska real estate
The Exterior of the Home
Inspect the following areas of the exterior of your Alaska real estate.
• Take a look at the exterior surfaces of wood panels on windows, doors, railing and decks for paint peeling, cracks, and other damages due to water. Any damages will need to be repaired by a professional in order to protect the investment you have made in your Alaska real estate
• Take a real close look at all concrete surfaces and areas of your Alaska real estate for cracks or signs of movement. All cracks need to be filled with a concrete filler and then allowed to dry, before sealing with an appropriate material. Moving concrete slabs will need to be inspected by a professional.
• All concrete slabs and areas around your Alaska real estate need to slope away from the foundation of the home to prevent pooling of water and possible damage. The only exception to this is with some pool areas near a home
• Bring in a professional to inspect and clean all chimneys in your Alaska real estate
• Make sure to inspect all areas around roof vents, skylights and windows, and all chimneys, including the flashing
• Hire a professional to come in and service and clean the exterior unit of the air conditioner
• Clean the dryer vents leading to the outside of all built up lint to reduce any fire hazard to your investment
• All exterior plumbing, including faucets, needs to be inspected for possible damage due to freezing water. If turning on the water and putting your finger over the hole stops the water from flowing, you should have the faucet inspected by a professional
• Remove all dried wood and other debris from around your Alaska real estate in order to additionally reduce the hazard due to fire. This includes making sure all firewood piles are at least 18 includes from the ground and 2 feet from the home
The Interior of the Home
Maintaining the interior of the home is just as important as keeping up with the exterior. Use the following ideas to help maintain the interior of your Alaska real estate.
• Inspect the basement areas of the home for possible water damage, including any musty smells, stains, and wet areas, which could be a sign the foundation of your Alaska real estate has cracks. Call in a professional to inspect the foundation if you suspect there could be any problem
• Replace all air filters in the furnace and air conditioning unit to keep the air healthier. You should also have all furnace ducts cleaned and serviced by a professional at least once a year
• Clean built up grease from the hood of your kitchen range, which will reduce any fire hazard, even more. Make sure to remove the air filter and clean it in the dishwasher, or in a green cleaning solution.
Use the important steps we suggest above to help maintain the value of your Alaska real estate through the spring season and the rest of the year and protect your investment in money and time through the years ahead. Using these steps your property will be great shape when you decide to sell and you could make a nice profit.