A Day in the Life – 12 Months

I almost forgot to do my last ‘A Day in the Life’ post for Cullen’s 12th month to finish off the year.

I have been able to day one of these posts every month since Cullen was born, so now I am finishing up with month twelve. One thing that remains constant: there is no typical day. And if anything, this is further from a typical day for us, but I still wanted to get something written up and posted on the blog for memory sake.


Sunday, November 1

8:20 p.m. Cullen goes to bed. This is definitely later than usual, but he napped for 3 hours during the afternoon. (He was in his carseat when he was napping and for some reason naps a lot longer in it than his crib.)

Monday, November 2

12:00 a.m. Cullen wakes up. I let him fuss for a while, but after 20 minutes he isn’t quieting down, so I go nurse him back to sleep.

5:00 a.m. Cullen wakes up again.

5:20 a.m. After he goes back down, I contemplate getting up now and giving myself ample time to get my run in or sleeping until my alarm goes off at 5:45 a.m. I figure I might as well get up so I can drive to a route that I ran yesterday that was clear of snow for my tempo workout.

5:50 a.m. Drive to my running spot. As I get in my car, I see that it has snowed a little bit more overnight–not more than half an inch. However, this is a bummer because I have a tempo workout on the schedule, and the snow has now taken away my clear pavement. Thankfully I know the route has dry pavement underneath the snow (and there isn’t ice patches lurking underneath), but I also know that I am going to have a hard time hitting my prescribed paces. I figure I’ll do my best and see what I can manage.

6:00 a.m. Start my 10 mile workout. My workout is 2 x 2 miles @ 6:40 – 6:45 pace with 1:45 rest in between. Normally I would have no problem hitting this pace, but the snow + icy intersections and corners + some gradual uphill prevent me from hitting my paces. My actual splits were: 6:48, 6:51, 7:13, 6:58. I do my best and put forth the effort I would in a workout like this.


7:25 a.m. Finish my workout, stretch a little, and drive back home.

7:40 a.m. Arrive back home and see Cullen is still sleeping, so I drink my post-workout Generation UCAN, put dishes away, catch up with Craig, make the bed, and foam roll while reading e-mails.

8:20 a.m. Cullen is still sleeping, so I take the opportunity and hop in the shower to get ready for the day. (I never get a chance to shower before he’s up!)

8:45 a.m. I hear some circus-like music coming from Cullen’s room. It isn’t a toy I’ve heard before and cannot figure out what the noise is. I open up the door and see Cullen pushing the buttons on his swing through the bars of his crib. I didn’t even know his swing played that music. Ha! I pick him up out of his crib, change his diaper, and give him some snuggles. Afterwards, I finish getting ready and then we head downstairs for breakfast.

9:00 a.m. Breakfast time! I have an English muffin with almond butter, and I add jam to one half. I also have some dried pineapple and half an apple.


9:30 a.m. We head upstairs and play with some new toys from his birthday. I pick up his room and do a little bit of computer work in between playing with him and reading books.

10:40 a.m. We go on a walk with Sadie. She definitely gets a lot more hyper if she doesn’t get her daily walk.


We have fun walking through the woods, while I sing silly songs to Cullen.


11:40 a.m. Return from our walk. We usually don’t walk quite this long, but the fresh air is good for everyone.

11:45 a.m. I start on making lunch.

12:00 p.m. Lunch is pretty bare bones. . . .I desperately need to do some grocery shopping.

strawberry banana smoothie with greens + cheese quesadilla + veggies


12:30 p.m. I clean up the kitchen while Cullen plays.

12:45 p.m. We head upstairs. I change Cullen’s diaper and his clothes, which are dirty from eating and wet from extra drool these past couple of weeks. (He has 4 new teeth on top and 2 more coming in on the bottom. That will be 14 teeth total!) While he isn’t showing too many signs of being tired, it has been 4 hours since he’s been up, and I am pretty sure he is in need of a nap, so we start reading some books and winding down.

1:00 p.m. Cullen goes down for his nap. During his nap, I work on this blog post, do a postpartum ab video, and order my beloved Mizuno Wave Riders.

2:30 p.m. Cullen wakes up from his nap. He has been very consistent with taking a 75 – 90 minute nap thankfully! We get ready to go and run some errands.

2:40 p.m. We stop at Cabela’s to look for a gift for Craig. [It’s his birthday tomorrow (Tuesday)!] But I don’t find what I am looking for, so we look at the fish and other animals. I take this picture of the onesie and send it to Craig because he’s been bugging me about buying a onesie, so we can all wear our onesies in an awkward family photo. “What I lack in muscles, I make up in humor,” direct quote from my husband. Yep!


Our next stop is at Costco for some staple grocery items. I also pick up a jacket for $15 that I think will be really nice for running, some running gloves, and a gift for my sister for Christmas. Cullen enjoys the samples.


Our third and final stop is at the thrift store: Value Village. (I have been a cheapskate and buying my jeans on E-bay or at the thrift store for $15 – $20.) I find a pair of skinny jeans today. They are American Eagle, which isn’t my preferred store to buy things from, but they fit well, and they are only $13. I’m all about the good deals.

4:40 p.m. We return home, and I unload the car and put groceries away while Cullen plays.

5:00 p.m. I work on dinner.

5:15 p.m. Craig gets home from work, and watches Cullen while I finish dinner.

5:30 p.m. I call my sister and talk to her while trying to clean up the kitchen a bit.

6:00 p.m. Dinner is served: Baked Breaded Chicken + roasted sweet potatoes + avocado slices. Super easy and super delicious.


6:30 p.m. Cullen has food all over from eating, so we take a bath and get ready for bed.

7:00 p.m. I can tell Cullen isn’t tired, so I start washing the dishes while he rides around in his “car.”

7:30 p.m. We go upstairs and play for a while again.

8:00 p.m. Craig returns home from his haircut and watches Cullen while I finish cleaning.

8:30 p.m. Cullen finally goes down. I get ready for bed.

8:50 p.m. I finish this blog post.

9:30 p.m. Lights out for me.

The end.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s